Throbbing pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and noise…headaches are never fun, but nine out of ten Americans sufferfrom them. Many choose to combat the pain through medicine, sleep, or just decide to suffer and hope it eventually goes away, but did you know a visit to the chiropractor could help?
Research shows that spinal manipulations, also known as spinal adjustments, provided by chiropractors may be an effective treatment option for headaches. In a study conducted by Duke University, it was found that spinal manipulation resulted in almost immediate improvement, and participants had significantly fewer side effects and longer-lasting relief than a commonly prescribed medication.
What can a chiropractor do for you?
- Perform spinal manipulation or chiropractic adjustments to improve spinal function and alleviate the stress
- Provide nutritional advice, recommending a change in diet to remove foods that can potentially trigger headaches
- Offer advice on posture, ergonomics (work postures), exercises and relaxation techniques
What can you do for yourself?
- If you spend a large amount of time in one fixed position, take a break and stretch every 30 minutes to one hour.
- Low-impact exercise may help relieve the pain
- Avoid teeth clenching
- Stay hydrated